I love getting the monthly newsletter from McKemie Place.
Actually, I like getting newsletters, photos, notices and e-mails from all organizations, churches and other public entities. Without them, I may not have sufficient material for my blog. Also, they show our communities as caring, active people who look for the best in their neighbors and towns.
But what I really like about the newsletter from McKemie Place shelter for homeless women is that Executive Director Jessica James prints a "Thank You" to everone who has, in any way, been beneficial to McKemie. This is not to say that others don't--they do--but McKemie's newsletter has thanks to school children, churches, banks. I generally put Thanks, etc at the bottom of my weekly column, but McKemie's are so cheerful, uplifting and inspiring.
Below are some of the appreciation notes in the April newsletter (I'll print her words)
* We are so grateful for the generosity of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church on Cottage Hill Road for bringing so many of our weekly #wishlist items on April 30. Our Staff loves coming to work and seeing so many of our needed
items delivered during the day. Your donations make their shifts so much easier!
* We are so thankful for Carol and Julie from First UMC Atmore for bringing us some #wishlistwednesday items this month! It’s always a blessing to see familiar faces from our neighboring counties bringing us needed
* Hancock and Whitney Bank generously donated 3 used laptops to us this month. More and more job applications are being accepted online only, and we do not want our Guests to miss an opportunity! Special
thanks to our Board Member Jeremy Eudy for setting this up for us.
* Dee Allen answered the call of our #wishlistwednesday post and delivered cleaning supplies to our Day Shelter location on the same day! We like to supply our day shelter location with needed items, as well, as we
do not want to be a burden to those who help us. We love our volunteers!
* Our Director was delighted to spend the morning of April 12 with an amazing group of women at Spanish Fort UMC. She gave a update on the work we’re doing in our community, and they generously donated gently
used luggage and #wishlist items to us!
* Lauren Fisher and Yotynia Nettles from Mobile Infirmary Medical Records Department stopped by to drop off hygiene items their office collected for our Guests. We are so thankful for their generosity, as we partner with
* One of our favorite partners, Matt Armbruster with Ransom Ministries, spoke to 24 of our Guests about Trauma Informed Care and their “ReProgram” initiative on April 23 while doing our Guests’ laundry with
“The Clean Machine.” Ransom is so wonderful to us!
* We were thrilled with all of the hard work our United Way of Southwest Alabama “Day of Caring” team from Regions Bank accomplished for us on April 20! Our bathrooms received a fresh coat of cheerful paint,
bathroom faucets and shower drips were fixed, and yard work was completed. We couldn’t operate without the help of our amazing volunteers. Thank you Regions Bank and UWSWA!
* Our Director and Ms. JP had a wonderful time educating all who stopped by our table at “Engaging the Next Generation” during ArtWalk and the SouthSounds Music Festival on April 13. Educating others on
homelessness in our community has so much long-term impact for our Shelter. We’re grateful for any opportunity to share the good news about our Shelter!
Of course, McKemie Place's mission is included. "The mission of McKemie Place as the only emergency shelter for unaccompanied, homeless women in Mobile, Baldwin, and Washington Counties is to provide a safe haven for women in distress, as well as other services to help meet their needs and promote their well-being."
And there are subtle reminders of the need for supplies and fundraisers:
* Please be sure to check our #WishlistWednesday that’s posted each Wednesday on our Facebook page, Instagram and Twitter accounts.
* FUNDRAISING: Keeping Shelter Operations Funded--wanting to host a fundraiser for McKemie? It’s as simple as hosting a bake sale, yard sale or donation drive at your local church or community group. Or, you may donate securely online at www.mckemieplace.org/donate. Remember, no donation is too small as every dollar counts.
Dauphin Island Sea Lab
Joe Jefferson Players