The magic continues nightly this week at Bellingrath Gardens and Home. The 20th anniversary of Magic Christmas in Lights is open through Saturday, Jan. 2 (closed New Year’s Day). The outdoor light display, set out in a walking tour across the 65-acre estate along Fowl River, is a holiday institution on the Gulf Coast. Many guests don’t realize that this dazzling show is made right here in south Alabama. What makes it so special? Read on!
Five fun facts about Magic Christmas in Lights at Bellingrath Gardens and Home
1. Magic Christmas in Lights is one of the nation’s best holiday light shows, voted into the Top 10 of USA Today’s reader’s choice list in 2014! (Here is the link: www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-public-lights-display )
2. Magic Christmas in Lights isn’t ordered out of a catalog; it’s made right here in south Alabama. The entire holiday lights display is designed and built on-site by Bellingrath employees, two of whom work full-time, year-round to create and lamp the set pieces.
3. Magic Christmas in Lights is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2015. The lights are on from 5 to 9 p.m. nightly through Saturday, Jan. 2, 2016. (The Gardens are closed on New Year’s Day.)
4. The 20th anniversary holiday show has brand-new displays and effects, including animated snowflakes sparkling on the Great Lawn and 8-foot water lilies glowing on Mirror Lake. The Underwater Garden has been enhanced with blue track lights to create the effect of flowing waves overhead.
5. Magic Christmas in Lights is the perfect family event to get everyone into the holiday spirit. All ages – grandparents, babies and everyone in between – enjoy strolling the paths throughout the Gardens and taking magical photos together. “This is what Christmas is all about,” said Dr. Bill Barrick, Executive Director of Bellingrath Gardens and Home.
For more information, call Sally Pearsall Ericson, Director of Marketing and Public Relations, 251-973-2217