"Cheers to Children" Charity Auction to benefit the Child Advocacy Center is tonight, Monday, July 27, 6-8:30 p.m. at Cafe 615. Tickets are $35 each at Cafe 615 or the CAC. Call 432-1101 for more information.
Volunteers of America Southeast is collecting backpacks and school supplies for Operation Backpack through July. Rally your office staff, civic organization or Sunday school class to gather basic school supplies for children in need. VOASE will deliver filled backpacks to Mobile County Department of Human Resources to be distributed. Call Janet Hyde, VOASE, at 338-1294 for information. A list of needed supplies can be found in an earlier post on this blog.
Wonderful Wednesday at Bellingrath Gardens & Home on July 29, 10:30-11:30 a.m. features a lecture and book-signing by Scott Ogden, author, horticulturist and garden designer. For more information, visit www.bellingrath.org or call 973-2217.
Mobile Country Music Association's Building Fund Benefit is Saturday, August 1 from 10:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Among others on the schedule is Bo Grant of The Platters recording group. Call Marshall Fillingim, 457-0762, or Carolyn Cain, 455-6748 for information.
Dauphin Island Heritage and Art Center's Last Friday Art Night is July 31, 6-8 p.m.at the new location, 918 Bienville Boulevard. Call 490-0294 for more details.
The Battle of Mobile Bay Commemorative Day at Fort Gaines Historic Site is Saturday, August 1, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information on this annual event, see Fortgaines@dauphinisland.org or www.facebook.com/dipbb.
Playhouse in the Park presents "Mary Poppins" Thursday-Saturday, July 31 and August 1 and 2 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, August 3 at 2:30 p.m. Call 602-0630 for reservations.
The 2nd Annual Kayak Classic Fishing Tournament in Bayou La Batre is Saturday, August 1, beginning at 6 a.m. For more information, call the Bayou La Batre Chamber of Commerce, 824-4088.
The Dauphin Island West End Beach movies July 30 and July 31 are "Teen Beach Movie" on Thursday and "Maleficent" on Friday. The films begin at dark.
Dauphin Island Sea Lab's Discovery Hall "Survivor" camp for 9-11 year olds is July 31, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Campers will learn about various fishing methods and put each to use. An inside look at the catch-of-the-day with an instructor-led dissection is sure to be an interesting part of this program. Call 861-2141 for reservations or more information.
The Senior Dance at Tillman's Corner Community Center, 5055 Carol Plantation Road, is July 30, 7-10 p.m. Music is by County Line Band of Mobile; call Dumas McLaney, 661-5827 for information.
Coming up in the next couple of weeks are the following fun and fundraiser events:
* Via! Center's Cool White Linen Night is Thursday, August 6, 6:30 p.m. in the ballroom of the Country Club of Mobile. Call Barbara Estes, 470-5229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
* Marc-Art 2015, a benefit for the Mobile Arc art program for people with developmental disabilities, is Thursday, August 6, 6-9 p.m. at Azalea Manor, 751 Dauphin Street. Call Suzanne Dennis, 479-7409 ext. 623 for tickets.
* Joe Jefferson Players' "Avenue Q" opens Friday, August 7 at 8 p.m. Tickets may be ordered through www.vendini.com. For information, call 471-1534.
* Noah's Animal Refuge Fish Fry fundraiser is Saturday, August 8, 10:30 a.m. at DJ's Grocery, 11600 Moffett Road in Wilmer.
* An Open House at Kirk House & Gardens will be held on Saturday, August 8, 2015. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Kirk House is at 11525 Highway 43 N, Axis. See unusual plants and the exceptional ceramic art work by Mary Kirk Kelly.
* McKemie Place 3rd annual golf tournament fundraiser, "Drive Away Homelessness" is scheduled for August 14 at Spring Hill Golf Course. Call 432-1122 for information.
"Run to Win," an evening of support for Mission of Hope Ministries, Inc. is Saturday, August 15, 7 p.m. at Mobile Convention Center. Alicia Williamson Gacia is emcee; keynote speaker is former University of Alabama football coach Gene Stallings. Call Tara Hannah, 214-3778 regarding tickets or to make a donation for the silent auction that will precede the dinner.
In the Good News/Great Job Department are the following events and activities:
* Sally Ericson. Public Relations for Bellingrath Gardens & Home, reported that the July 22 Kids' Gulf Discovery Day was a huge success, bringing in more than 200 people "even in the heat wave," Ericson said. The 4 Fowl River cruises were nearly all completely sold out, and the environmental groups had "some really neat displays, and several groups had live animals--birds, turtles, snakes," she said. In fact, the Wonderful Wednesday series has been extremely popular this summer; the last one is July 29 with author Scott Ogden telling visitors how to create a Moonlit Garden. Call 973-2217 for more information.
* Good news from Mike McKinley, coordinator of One Meal for the homeless, hungry and working poor in downtown Mobile: CocaCola has generously offered to furnish bottled water for the rest of the summer. To volunteer or to make a donation to help One Meal feed 125-200 people every Sunday afternoon, call McKinley at 379-9014.
* More than 100 people participated in the Fifty Plus Club's Bingo fundraiser Sunday afternoon, July 26--it was a very successful event, according to spokesman T. Ray Aspinwall. This club's membership comes from all over the county; call Aspinwall at 423-2350 for information on how to join.
* SouthWest Mobile County Chamber of Commerce recently received a Good Roots Grant of $1,000 from Alabama Power Company. The Chamber will use the funds to improve the gateway to the community by planting trees and shrubbery around the Tillman's Corner Welcome sign on Highway 90.
* The 2nd Annual "Kids' Day" at Tillman's Corner Community Center brought in hundreds of children and parents to enjoy all the activities and to receive pertinent information--another very successful event.
Dauphin Island Sea Lab
Joe Jefferson Players