Guests can enjoy good food, participate in a hat contest and bid on the four outstanding gift baskets up for auction.
They can also, perhaps, take note of this beautiful old Mobile architectural and historical treasure, the Richards-DAR House.
The town house, one of the city's finest examples of Italianate style architecture, was built by steamboat captain, Charles G. Richards and his bride, Caroline Elizabeth Steele Richards, in 1860.
The dwelling stayed in the Richards family until 1946, when it was bought by Ideal Cement Company to be used as a business office. After it was turned over to the City of Mobile in 1973, five local chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution leased it, outfitted it in period furnishings and now administer it as a museum.
One of the most distinctive features of Richards-DAR House is the decorative fence and gallery lace ironwork with its allegorical figures representing the four seasons. And that is the purpose for this benefit; proceeds will go toward the $75,000 it will take to restore the ironwork. Tax-deductible tickets are $20. Call 251-208-7320 to secure tickets; see www.richardsdarhouse.com for information.
One more thing: According to folklore, the house has its share of ghosts, and, if there's a moment's lull during the tea party jollity, guests might keep an ear cocked to pick up the sound of disembodied laughter or the singing of childlike voices. They might even catch a glimpse of a ghostly figure--Captain Richards?--in an upstairs bedroom window.